Write It Down
Anticipating the obstacles you'll encounter along the way to reaching a goal is almost like forecasting the future.
Set aside time each day to plan what tasks you'll be doing that day. You can call it your Daily Task List. By looking at the master tasks of your project plan, you can focus on specific items and break it down by what needs to be done day-by-day.
It's a good idea to keep your Master Task List in a binder with all your Daily Task Lists. A Marbig Professional Series View Tab® Binder or Marbig Professional Series View Tab® Notebook would be perfect for keeping track of your lists.
No matter how good your memory is, you can't keep track of the entire project in your head. Writing down project tasks and making lists can help keep you focused on what needs to be done and when it needs to be done. It will also help you visualize your time so you can plan and schedule accordingly.
The Difference between a Deadline and a Target Date
When formulating a plan that leaves room for last-minute emergencies, it's important to clarify whether you're dealing with an honest-to-goodness deadline or a target date. Here's the difference:
- When you miss a deadline, you are past the point of completing your commitment, and you'll most likely have to deal with dire consequences.
- When you miss a target date, there may be consequences, but the job can still get done, and usually is.
Working Smart, Not Hard
Discipline and willpower. That's the dynamic duo you'll need to successfully meet your deadlines. Here's how to make sure you stick to your goals (and your guns):
- Set daily goal lines and be sure to accomplish these sub goals.
- Set aside time everyday to work on your big project. Try to get most of it done early enough to leave room for the unexpected obstacles that might pop up along the way.
- Use a scheduling system to remind yourself of your tasks, appointments, meetings and events.
- Avoid any distractions that might keep you from completing your scheduled production tasks.
The more organised you are, the less stressed you will be and the more efficiently you will work. Here are some Marbig products that will help you stay organised as you tackle your big projects.